23 March 2016


There are celebrations today at the Manor House. 
Jemima passed her driving test......yay!  

Not only did she pass with having had 12 lessons (and lots of help from mum and dad), 
she also only got 6 minors!!!!

The examiner said she was one of the best young drivers of her age that he had examined. 

So, so proud and pleased for her.

Love you Jemima x

18 March 2016


I've been following Remodelista for many years, getting daily updates on design ideas, amazing architectural projects, shopping and travel suggestions.  It's a very interesting blog which I'm addicted too. 

Today they focused on concrete worktops, a subject that I am passionate about as we have them in our kitchen.  I am so, so happy with ours, which is certainly 'The star of the show' in our kitchen! 
They have a solid, sturdiness mixed with a natural feel that no other worktop could provide.

Even over time the concrete will develop a patina with more use.  How good is this?

The only slight draw back with concrete, is that we have to be cautious about are squirts of lemon juice or spillages of white wine. Generally, washing off instantly rectifies this problem though. Because ours is polished concrete we add a waterproof sealant to buff it up every now and again...'rub it on, rub it off', a bit like on the film 'Karate Kid' if you've ever seen it?  
Once done, it shines like new again.

Concrete worktops don't have to be grey in colour, in fact when people walk into our kitchen this is normally the first comment they make.  Ours is a natural white.

If you're considering concrete worktops, I would highly recommend Lowinfo, this is the company that we worked with to produce ours. I have previously written a post about the process here
We are so pleased we chose concrete worktops.

11 March 2016

It's exciting to see our house being used in a professional photograph, 
recognizing the chair, floor, curtains or plant that are everyday objects to us, 
which are then transformed into a backdrop to a client's advert, or an image on their website or a promotional brochure. 

Take for instance the above photo used on H J Socks website. 
This is the chaise longue that stands in front of the window in the spare room... 

the wing back chair in the conservatory, 

or the gates into the orchard,

or the steps up into the conservatory.

Men's Socks

Various shots from around the house and outside used by the client for a banner on their website.

Our house can be rented out as a film and photo shoot locations 
via JJ Loctions and Shoot Factory.


Loving this music and video at the moment and just had to share it...

Have a great weekend!

7 March 2016


I love this photo of the door into the main bedroom taken on a sunny summers day.  
There's something both mystical and serene about it.  
White door, white walls and white floor, a hint of colour from green leaves in the glass vase. 
The letters are from Posh Grafitti.

15 February 2016


One of my thoughtful and very kind friends has just given me a lovely gift ...washing-up liquid from Daylesford
Lucky for her, she visited the organic farm in Gloucestershire this weekend.

She certainly knows how to spoil me and knew it would appeal to me. I can't believe how excited I am about it!!

I've just cleaned some very greasy saucepans and spoons.  This is not just a pretty bottle of washing-up liquid, it effectively washes grease and grime leaving dishes sparkling and clean. 

 Environmentally kind, biodegradable, sensitive to skin with a beautiful scent of rosemary. It even looks good in a clear bottle with simple white and grey graphics so if you're anything like me, you won't be embarrassed to leave out on show in your kitchen. 

 I can't rave on enough about it.  All in all a perfect product...10 out of 10!!!
You can buy it online here.

31 January 2016


Our hall has a grandness. It has remained, the same as it was originally built back in 1870's. 
The staircase is the prized feature, with its deep stairs and mahogany handrail. 

This is the hall as it looks today... 

and looking the other way towards the front door...

When introduced to The Manor House, it was the hall that we walked into first. 
Standing all together, our first impressions was of a room in need of updating and some renovations. High ceilings, large staircase, lots of space, mostly a light and airy room with beautiful original doors to rooms that had to be explored.  

Once we'd moved in and started renovating the house, generally our motto has been that not everything has to be expensive to update.  We always try to use what you have or clean, mend or add too it

Under a green carpet in the hall, we found a natural stone floor.  It was an exciting moment.  
We suspect that the sandstone had been sourced from a Mansfield quarry in Nottinghamshire around the 1800's when this part of the house was built.  

(above) detail of stone floor

After many years of walking on the floor, especially into rooms that were probably occupied by servants, some areas have become worn and indented. We were keen to discard the carpet and see the distinctive beauty of the natural stone floor. 
It's a durable, unpretentious, honest flooring that will last many decades and beyond.

BEFORE (below)
We had to take the hall carpet up as soon as possible because I hated it (we didn't even have time to take any photos). The stair carpet we had to live with for many years before we decorated the hall and came up with a better solution.

BEFORE (below)